Social Media Hashtag Campaigns: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
From Facebook to Instagram, hashtags have truly brought a new era to social media marketing.
Did you know that the term hashtag has just celebrated it’s 10 year anniversary and is now officially in the Oxford dictionary? Yet many companies find it difficult to run a dedicated hashtag campaign.
Those companies that run successful hashtag campaigns harness the true power of social media marketing and drive a lot of traffic and awareness to their brands.
So why do brands run hashtag campaigns on social media?
A successful campaign is not dependent on the size of your business, how many marketers are on your team, or your product or service. The main reasons to run a hashtag campaign is to:
- Create brand awareness
- Increase the visibility of your product or service
- Easily track and quantify your campaign
- Boost followers and retweets
- Get your target audience involved
- Promote events effectively
- Find out what your audience is talking about
- Launch a product or service
How to choose a hashtag?
The key to success is choosing a hashtag that can easily go viral. Before your team starts brainstorming on a whiteboard here are some pointers that may help:
- Your hashtag should be original. Never copy a competitor
- It should be easy to understand
- Never combine more than 2 to 4 words together
- Do not make your hashtag just about your brand
- Nothing offensive or demeaning
And always read your hashtag out loud a few times and ask a friend or coworker. This could save your company a lot of headache. Do you remember the hashtag fail of #susanalbumparty?